The Karelian pie workshop
In Okkola’s karelian pie workshop you´ll discover the old art of making tasty karelian pies! The hostess, Paula, will guide you through the knicks and knacks of baking these traditional delicacies in her own country home.
Welcome to my cozy home on the island of Niinisaari on Lake Saimaa! In this workshop, we will bake authentic Karelian pies together, share stories and enjoy a delicious meal. We will use a wood oven to bake the pies, in the charming setting of a 1700s log cabin. We will start by making the dough together, and you will learn how to fill and crimp the pies like a pro. This workshop is suitable for both beginners and more experienced bakers who want to polish their skills. At the end, we will drink tea/coffee and savor the pies with egg butter. You will also get the recipe and a bag of pies to take home. I have been organizing this workshop since 2015, and I use local, D.O. Saimaa-labeled Rapion Mylly rye flour for baking. If you have any dietary restrictions, please let me know in advance and I will try to accommodate them.
Workshop flow: I will greet you at my home, which is next to my restaurant, ”Niinipuu.” The yard is a heritage site with beautiful plants and flowers. Depending on the weather, we will have a non-alcoholic welcome drink under the maple tree or in the house. The workshop will take place in my home, which is a 1700s log cabin with a lot of character. You don’t need to bring anything, as I will provide aprons and all the supplies. I will show you how to make the dough, fill and crimp the pies. I will also give you tips and tricks along the way. We will bake the pies in a traditional wood oven, which gives them a wonderful flavor and texture. When the pies are ready, we will brush them with butter, drink tea/coffee and enjoy them with egg butter. You will also receive a printed recipe and a paper bag with the remaining pies.
Who is this workshop for? Anyone who loves baking and wants to have a fun and relaxing time. Families, friends, couples, groups, or solo travelers are all welcome. The cabin has a few steps at the entrance, but it is otherwise accessible. Children and babies are also welcome, and children under 4 years old can join for free. Group size: 1-12 people.
When can you book? You can book this workshop all year round, but please note that you need to make a reservation at least five days in advance. The workshop starts at 10.00, unless we agree on a different time. Duration: approx. 2.5 h
Why you should book this workshop:
- You will learn how to bake Karelian pies, which are a traditional Finnish delicacy and have a EU product protection as an Authentic Traditional Product.
- You will have a fun and memorable experience with a friendly and knowledgeable host.
- You will enjoy a cozy and rustic atmosphere in a 1700s log cabin with a wood oven.
- You will taste the delicious pies with tea/coffee and egg butter, and take home a recipe and a bag of pies.
- You will discover Puumala, a beautiful town in South Savo, which is only 1 h 15 min drive from Imatra, Mikkeli or Savonlinna.
- The workshop leader is Paula Okkola, a Karelian pie expert who moved from Kitee to Puumala, and who loves to share her passion and skills with others.
- You can also add a soup lunch for an extra 15 € / person, if you want to extend your stay and enjoy more food.
- The basic fee of 330 € covers 6 participants, and each additional participant is 55 € / person (children 4-12 years old are 40 € / person). The fee includes everyone who enters the workspace.
The workshop must be reserved no later than five days before the start of the workshop. The workshop can be cancelled free of charge no later than three days before the start of the workshop.